Choosing the perfect engagement ring can be a stressful and daunting task. Today, there are so many choices that it can quickly get overwhelming. Add to that the potentially high cost and your dreams for the ideal ring can quickly fade away. That’s where moissanite and lab diamonds come in. Two excellent alternatives to a traditional diamond ring that you may have never come across before. These gemstones offer you not only a more affordable option, but both have benefits that natural diamonds don’t. But which one is right for you? We have compiled all the key information you need to know about moissanite and lab diamonds, to help you choose a flawless engagement ring.
What is Moissanite?
Moissanite was discovered in 1893 by Nobel Prize-winning French scientist Henri Moissan. At first, he thought he had discovered diamonds but later concluded that it was composed of silicon carbide. Moissanite is extremely rare to find naturally, so the gemstones used in jewelry are created in a laboratory.
Let’s look at why a moissanite engagement is a great alternative to a traditional diamond.
Price: Moissanite engagement rings are much more affordable than diamond ones. They can be as little as one-tenth the price. This allows you to use those big savings on your wedding day, new home, honeymoon, or car. Gemorie has beautiful moissanite engagement rings from a few hundred dollars up to a couple of thousand.
- Durability: Diamonds may be the hardest naturally occurring substance on the planet with a 10 on the Mohs scale. But moissanite is a close second and is more heat resistant than diamonds. In fact, at Gemorie we confidently offer a lifetime guarantee for all our 14k and 18k moissanite engagement rings.
- Eco & environmental reasons: Diamonds are well-known for their history of unethical practices, including slave labor. The mining operation for diamonds can also destroy natural landscapes. Moissanite gemstones are created in a lab for more ethical and environmentally friendly practice.
What are Lab Grown Diamonds?
Lab-grown diamonds go by many names – man-made, engineered, or cultured diamonds. These mineral stones are created in a highly controlled laboratory environment using extreme pressure and heat. Here are some reasons why you should consider a lab diamond engagement ring from Gemorie.
- Price: Just like moissanite rings, man-made diamonds are much less expensive than traditional diamonds. They can be just half the cost of real diamonds.
- Look: Lab created diamonds are made under the same temperature and pressure conditions as natural ones. Some say they look even better and more stunning than natural diamonds. Many lab made diamonds have a higher purity and brighter quality.
- Environmentally-friendly: Lab-grown diamond rings are made through a sustainable process that avoids the environmental issues that diamond mining causes. So, you can bypass any ethical conflicts by buying a man-made diamond ring.
Let the Gemorie experts help you
Our team of experienced jewelry designers can make your dreams of the perfect engagement ring come true. They can help you select which style of moissanite, or lab-made diamond is right for you. We’re world-famous in Orange County for our vast loose diamond, colored gemstone, and moissanite range. You can view our stunning collection of engagement rings at Gemorie.com.